Sunday, December 1, 2013

Weekly Verse 12/1

Tis' the season - my favorite season that is.  I absolutely love the Christmas season.  The music, the traditions, the movies, hot chocolate, celebrating the TRUE meaning of Christmas, and giving gifts.  Summer may be my favorite "weather season" but Christmas by far is my favorite season to celebrate!

I'm sure your Facebook feed was overloaded this weekend with folks heading out for Black Friday shopping and talking about the deals they had gotten.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good deal.  However, sometimes the focus of Christmas gets turned to materialistic worship.  Too much focus is put on the purchasing and deal-getting.  I hear so many people say they are broke during this season, or they can't do as much this year as they did last year.  Is that the purpose of the Christmas season?  To spend, spend, spend?  Believe me, I LOVE giving gifts; seeing the look on someone's face when they unwrap a great, heart-felt gift fills me with joy, but let's remember that Christmas isn't about how much money we spend.

We've turned into a greedy society.  We want so much and expect to get it on Christmas morning.  So let me ask you this:  Have you thought about those families that won't have Christmas this year?  The ones who don't have a home to decorate?  The ones who don't have family to celebrate with?  Let's make it a goal to be GENEROUS this year. 
Think about this:
1.  Can you give some money to the Salvation Army Bell Ringers?
2.  Can you buy the person in line behind you their Starbucks drink?
3.  Can you give just 3 hours to help at a homeless shelter or Operation Christmas Child?
4.  Do you know a family who needs a Christmas tree?  You can find some great deals around the area and purchase a live tree for 1 family.  I bet it would make their year!

This week's verse is about generosity:
"But a generous man devises generous things, And by generosity he shall stand" (Isaiah 32:8, NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment