Thursday, December 19, 2013

Weekly Verse: 12/19

So, I just realized today is Thursday and I never posted my weekly verse.  Pregnancy Brain must be getting to me.  However, this slip couldn't have come at a better time.  I'm sure you've all heard about the A&E/Phil Robertson controversy and I think that could stand to be addressed.

I want you to think about this for just moment:
Phil Robertson voiced an opinion, a belief, and in a country where we have Freedom of Speech he is being punished for his "politically incorrect" views.  Wait!  Before you bite my head off, let me state that I do firmly believe that his comments were crude; however, that is my opinion and I am entitled to it.  It is also my opinion that he has every right to stand by his faith and speak up for things he doesn't believe in.  He quotes the word of God, and while his beliefs may not be popular or accepted by society he is entitled to them.

I spent years in the high school English classroom teaching my students about debating topics.  We debated some very touchy subjects (war, religion, politics, etc).  However in my classroom students were taught that they were to respect everyone's opinion.  That doesn't mean they had to agree with it, but they had to respect it and accept it as an opinion or belief.  I had 11th grade students, 16 year olds, who understood this better than our media-driven society.  People think that just because something offends them (especially if it is related to the Bible and Christianity) that they should condemn others and punish them for exercising a right that was bestowed on our country (which was founded on Christian beliefs).

I applaud Phil Robertson for standing up for his beliefs.  I don't agree with his choice of words, but I don't have to.  He stood on the word of God and supported his statements with Biblical facts.

This week's verse focuses on just that:
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness. (Ephesians 6:10-17, ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment