Saturday, July 24, 2010

What Happens in Vegas???

Everyone knows the saying, "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." Although, in this new technology-addicted world, I think it should have a footnote so that the saying would be read or said, "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas* (unless it is blogged or on Facebook)." I bring this up because Barrett and I will finally be heading to Vegas on Monday after planning it for almost 2 years and will be adding our adventures via Blogger and Facebook.
Here is a little background on our continual frustration with planning and then cancelling our Vegas trips.
1st Trip - Planned for Spring Break of 2009. We spent numerous months planning where we would stay, who we would be going with, and attractions that we would see. After the new year and our trip to Memphis, TN to watch the ECU Pirates in the Liberty Bowl, we both went back to work and I started booking our trip. I typically keep my phone on vibrate when I'm teaching, but for some reason left the ring on this day. I was finalizing our trip with credit card information almost completed when I was startled by my phone ringing. I looked down to see Barrett's name and was automatically on alert since he never calls during school hours. He was calling to tell me that he had just been laid off and was packing up his office at the moment. We were both devastated, not only because we didn't see this coming, but because this also meant no Vegas trip for us. Things did turn around and Barrett was hired as the GM of Bikinis Sports Bar and Grill a couple months later.
2nd Trip - Planned for Summer 2009. After Barrett's appointment of GM, we decided to look in to Vegas vacation options again and head off before my coaching season started back up. We started looking at packages again and had narrowed our choices down to two. We were coming up on making a decision and were going to finalize this within the next few days. As Barrett is leaving for work he mentions that his back is giving him some pain (we both have had serious back injuries in years past, so I sympathised with him). He calls me shortly (barely enough time to even get to work) and is barely audible as he is trying to talk through the pain. He threw his back out when he was putting on his shoes and cannot move to get out of the car; he was in so much pain he couldn't even get the keys out of the ignition. I rush to Bikinis and help him out of the car and immediately we go to the ER. He is given pain medication and a referral to a Neurosurgeon. He gets scheduled for back surgery a few days later and is told he cannot fly for several weeks. No trip to Vegas!
3rd Trip - Planned for Spring Break 2010! Barrett won his company's Fantasy Football League and has WON a free trip for 2 to VEGAS!!! We are ecstatic!! We begin planning our trip for my Spring Break, but Barrett's work schedules his off site meeting, in Texas, for the following week and he cannot leave to go out of town. No trip to Vegas!
4th Trip - Planned for Summer 2010! Cross your fingers, but nothing has occurred that is causing us to not be able to go on this trip! Even if I were to have some freak accident and lose a leg, etc, the airline would just have to accept it as one of my carry-ons! Now, we get to have our TRIP to VEGAS!

I know some of you may find this blog to be overhauled with excitement, giddiness, and exclamation points!! However, VEGAS is the one trip that I had to experience before becoming a preggers and mom....who knows, maybe we'll join the trend of naming children after the location where they are conceived and when we do have a Lil' Dabbs we'll name him/her Stratos Vegas Dabbs!

I hope you all enjoy the upcoming blogs detailing the ups and downs, trips and falls, and mind blowing experiences had in Vegas!

LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment