Saturday, February 8, 2014

Pickles, Ice Cream, and Flatulence: Part 1


As I head off my 3rd trimester, I realize that there are some symptoms that people did not prepare me for.  I know folks don't want to scare you by dishing the gross details that come with child bearing, but I would've liked to know that there's the possibility I will pee on myself.  So I've decided it's about time women know what to REALLY expect.  This is my first pregnancy but I think there's something here that every expectant mom can relate too.   And don't worry, Part 2 is coming soon!!

Here are the things that folks don't or won't tell you about:  Please note, these are my own experiences and every pregnancy is different.

Flatulence:  I was actually told about this one.  Many people, and books, informed me that I would produce a LOT of gas as my pregnancy progressed.  However, no one told me that it would be bad enough that I would offend myself!  I now keep a can of Febreze air freshener close by in my desk drawer at work.   I have also become a master at "crop dusting".  Yes, I am now THAT person!  While I can take GasX, it has not even come close to amending the situation!

Anticipation:  There's something about hitting the 3rd trimester that increases your anticipation.  I still have 10 weeks until my due date but my anticipation is at an all time high.  You (and your spouse) will likely create a "Honey Do" list, if you haven't already. I find myself walking in our little one's room and just staring in his closet, or around the room and mentally creating a to-do list of items we need to add to the registry or go buy, RIGHT NOW because we want to be prepared, right?

Reflux:  Some women have expressed having some crazy heartburn, and being someone who loves spicy food and has heartburn already I assumed this would be the worst for me.  But, I have not experienced heartburn, I've just had acid reflux or as WebMd likes to call it "Regurgitation".  Let me give you an example.  I was on the phone the other week with my girlfriend, Kendra.  We had been chatting for a while, then all of a sudden, mid-sentence I say "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I just threw up in my mouth."  Luckily, my trash can was close by so I just spit into it, but seriously there was no belch to precede this regurgitation.  I was just talking, and there came the chunks.

Love:  When we announced we were pregnant I immediately started hearing from women, "Girl you have no idea what love is."  They are so right.  Granted I haven't met this little boy yet, but the day we found out we were pregnant I knew that I would lay down my life for him.  There is NOTHING I won't do for this sweet miracle baby.  We recently had a 3D/4D ultrasound at SweetPea 3D and watching him smile, yawn, move his fingers and suck his thumb only caused my heart to swell with joy.  As I showed his pictures to friends and family I heard myself saying "I am so in love with him".  I love that he looks so much like my husband too.  I get a little Barrett out of the deal and I wouldn't trade that for the world! :)

Part 2 of "Pickles, Ice Cream, and Flatulence" is coming soon.  Be on the look out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment